Saturday, March 17, 2012

Spring Break

Man, so I may not be as good at this whole blogging thing as I would like to be.  Spring break has officially begun, and I am in much need of a break.  This break will allow me the chance to gear up for these crucial next couple of week's as my students and school prepare for our state tests.  I am beginning to make those final touch-ups and tune-ups in terms of math and reading and making sure that my students are as prepared as possible for those tests.  I have greatly enjoyed teaching thus far throughout the year.  I have definitely grown as a teacher throughout the year through professional development opportunities, as well as, collaborating with my colleagues about different approaches to teaching various topics.  That is one thing I have grown to accept, NEVER be afraid to ask a question.  No question is a stupid question and if you don't ask, you will never know.  Sometimes your questions may bring up things your colleagues havn't thought about and it in turn not only benefits you, but your team as well.  Recently, my class has been focusing on geometric figures.  My students have had fun creating the geometric shapes with their classmates by standing outside and forming different polygons.  One of my favorite teachable moments this past week was when I was explaining squares and rectangles.  I asked my students two questions: Are all square, rectangle? Are all rectangles, square?  My students were able to correctly identify the first question correctly, but when told all rectangles were not square, it looked as if something exploded in their minds.  There were so many bewildered looks.  However, after explaining to students the difference and WHY all rectangles were not square, I knew that my students have gained a better grasp of this concept.  That is all for now. Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment