Sunday, February 26, 2012

My First Year Teaching

     One of my good friends told me that I should start a blog, and I thought that was a great idea.  So, I sat around mulling over what I should blog about and I came to the obvious conclusion of blogging about my teaching experience. But first, let me tell you a little bit about myself.
     I just graduated from Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska this past May (2011).  I am engaged to the most wonderful woman in the world, Allison Oelke, and we are set to be married the 6th of July 2012.  Allie and I both met each other our very first day on campus and our friendship blossomed throughout our four years at Creighton.  Allie and I were both education majors, as well as, athletes at Creighton (Allie-Volleyball myself-Cross-Country).  The last thing I will say about Allie, she is definitely my better-half and I do not know what I did to deserve her.  So I must say I cannot wait until our wedding day.  So needless to say, I'm sure their will be some wedding details discussed throughout this blog.  I am the oldest of five children.  I have a twin sister who is attending the Nebraska-Lincoln Law School, brother who is a sophomore at UNL, sister that is a sophomore in high school, and lastly my youngest brother who is currently in 5th grade. 
     I have been teaching now for almost seven months now.  I am a fourth grade teacher at Pawnee Elementary School.  I had the pleasure of accepting this fourth grade position at the school I student taught at, which made it that much sweeter.  I have twenty-six students and I enjoy having each one of them in my class.  Yes, even on the bad days!  Many people ask me why I got into teaching, and I say the MONEY!  Kidding aside, I got into teaching so that I can be a positive male role model for those students that may not have one present in their lives.  I also couldn't imagine myself sitting in a cubicle all day with little interaction, I wanted to be active.  One of the other reasons I wanted to teach was that no day would be the same.  Each and every day is different.
     Just to give you a quick synopsis of the school year so that I don't write a book here it is:
          -I had a student from Brazil who could only speak Portuguese so I spent the first month to two months translating my lessons into Portuguese so that my student could understand what was being taught.
          -I got to know all of my students and began setting up those ever-important classroom rules and procedures.  Now many teacher's told me that I shouldn't "smile before December", I short of shook that off and man did I learn my lesson.  I am the kind of teacher that wants my classroom to be active and fun.  I think I allowed the fun part out of the bag to early.  I have had my ups and downs with discipline throughout the year, but it has definitely been a learning experience. 
          -I have been busy preparing students for this year's state tests.  Students have already completed the state writing test, which I know my students tried their best!  They all worked very hard on their personal narratives and I am excited to see how they did!  Now we are busy preparing for the state Math and Reading Tests.
          -Third Quarter conferences are in two weeks, so the third quarter is coming to a close!  I can't believe 3/4 of the school year is almost finished, it has flown by!  So as I am busy preparing for conferences, I am also busy planning a wedding!

Well there is a quick and hopefully "not too long" synopsis of my school year thus far.  I hope to use this as more of a reflection on my day than anything.  Which as teachers know, being a reflective practitioner is incredibly important in our profession.  Well, until next time, stay safe and God Bless.

Mr. Dawson

      


1 comment:

  1. A blog is a great way to get your tools and techniques across to many people. Right now I am student teaching at Ralston High School and blogs are a great way for me to find relevant material that other teachers are using that are effective in their classroom.

    I will enjoy reading your future blog posts Liam.

    Thanks,

    Trever

    ReplyDelete